How to Make Authentic Spanish Gazpacho
Gazpacho is a traditional Spanish soup that is made with a variety of vegetables, herbs, and spices. It is a refreshing and light dish that is perfect for hot summer days. Gazpacho is a great way to get your daily dose of vegetables and is a great way to use up any leftover vegetables you may have in your fridge. This article will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to make authentic Spanish gazpacho.
The ingredients for gazpacho vary depending on the region and the cook, but the basic ingredients are as follows:
– 4 large tomatoes
– 1 large cucumber
– 1 red bell pepper
– 1 green bell pepper
– 1 onion
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 2 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
– 1 teaspoon of salt
– 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
– 1 teaspoon of paprika
– 1 teaspoon of cumin
– 1/2 cup of tomato juice
– 1/2 cup of water
1. Start by preparing the vegetables. Peel and dice the tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, and onion. Mince the garlic.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced vegetables and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the sherry vinegar, salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
4. Add the tomato juice and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Remove the pot from the heat and let the soup cool for 10 minutes.
6. Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
7. Serve the gazpacho chilled with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley.
– You can use any type of tomatoes you like for this recipe. Roma tomatoes are a great choice as they are less watery than other varieties.
– If you don’t have sherry vinegar, you can substitute it with red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar.
– If you don’t have paprika, you can substitute it with chili powder or cayenne pepper.
– If you don’t have cumin, you can substitute it with coriander or oregano.
– You can add other vegetables to the soup such as carrots, celery, or zucchini.
– You can also add other herbs and spices such as oregano, thyme, or basil.
– If you want a thicker soup, you can add a few tablespoons of breadcrumbs or a few tablespoons of tomato paste.
– You can also add a few tablespoons of cooked white beans or chickpeas for a heartier soup.
– You can also add a few tablespoons of cooked rice or quinoa for a more filling soup.
Q: How long does gazpacho last in the fridge?
A: Gazpacho will last up to 5 days in the fridge. Make sure to store it in an airtight container.
Q: Can I freeze gazpacho?
A: Yes, you can freeze gazpacho. Make sure to store it in an airtight container and it will last up to 3 months in the freezer.
Q: Can I make gazpacho without a blender?
A: Yes, you can make gazpacho without a blender. Simply mash the vegetables with a potato masher or a fork until they are broken down.